30 Things to do When You Don’t Want To Workout
Let me give it to you straight; you’re not going to wake up everyday wanting to hit the gym or go for a run. Most days, you’ll probably dread even thinking about working out. On these days, I have to remind myself why I workout, how good I feel when I do, and sometimes that does the trick. However, that’s not always the case. You have to motivate yourself to keep going and when that’s not enough, I’ve got 30 things you can do when you don’t want to workout.
When I don’t feel like working out, I can…
1. Take a quick walk with a friend.
2. Go on Pinterest & look at some workout motivation quotes. This always gets me ready to workout.
3. Tell myself that I just need to do a 10 minute workout. This usually leads me to actually doing a full workout.
4. Take the dog for a walk. In my case, take the six ducks, two cats, and the dog.
5. Ask a friend to go to the gym. Working out in partners to complain about working out is way more fun.
6. Do heavy cleaning at the house (vacuum, mop, you know, all those chores we hate).
7. Find a new workout to do. If you don’t normally go swimming or ride a bike, go do those things! Maybe you just need to mix up your routine.
8. Look up quick workouts on YouTube. There are tons of options and you know, just do one.
9. Create a playlist with your favorite music that gets you motivated to move.
10. Think of all of the reasons that a workout would make you feel awesome. I totally have a workout I named “perky boobies” in my Happy Planner.
11. Get up an hour earlier. Trick your brain into doing your workout before you’re really awake and aware of what you’re doing.
No Need to NAMASTAY in Bed
12. Do something very light if you’re really not feeling it, like yoga or stretching.
13. Put on music and dance with your kids.
14. Create a Pandora Station with the year you graduated high school and dance to that music because it’s funny.
15. Grab small weights and do a quick arm workout.
16. Do squats every time you have to go to the bathroom throughout the day.
17. Do a step challenge on FitBit with your coworkers and push yourself to beat them.
I have a FitBit too, challenge me: @honeybunnytwee
18. Try on your “skinny” clothes in the morning. Remember how badly you want those to fit again.
19. Do a workout at home instead of going to the gym. Sometimes the hardest part is actually leaving to go to the gym.
20. Walk with your kids to the park. Force yourself to play tag with them.
21. Call a friend that you know will encourage you to workout.
22. Think about why you started. Look at progress photos of where you came from and where you’re at now. That’s motivation enough.
23. Take a drink of wine every time you think about not wanting to workout. That’s an arm workout, right? Kidding. Sorta.
24. Buy yourself new workout clothes. You’ll be excited to wear them.
25. While you’re at it, get yourself new shoes to wear to the gym.
26. Turn on your favorite TV show and make a workout up while you watch it. I’m a Grey’s Anatomy lover, so I would do sit ups anytime Meredith says McDreamy, do push ups when someone makes fun of George, and do jumping jacks when Alex says “whatever.” Make it fun.
27. Go to a class that makes workouts fun. Kickboxing, Spin Classes, and Zumba are a few of my favorites.
28. If you love the outdoors, go for a hike. The scenery and fresh air will trick you into thinking you’re not getting a workout.
29. Play with your kids. When I’m behind on my steps I make my kids chase me to catch up. My kids think it’s pretty funny too.
30. JUST DO IT. You’ll feel so much better.
Excercise is hard, but the only way to make it a habit is to do it consistently. Just get yourself moving, even if it’s only for a few minutes. You’ll be happy you did it.
In the words of Elle Woods…
Until next time,
Love what you’re reading? Make sure to subscribe to www.winedowncommunity.com so you don’t miss a post! They have brand new content EVERY Sunday! As an added bonus, you’ll receive her FREE Beauty Routine Checklist as well as her Wellness Worksheet for subscribing!
About the Author:
Anna Hallai is the author and blogger of Wine Down Community. A self-care, style and fitness blog where she inspires you to make yourself a priority and encourages you to live a healthier lifestyle.
Anna is originally from Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and is planning to move to sunny Florida in the next few years. Winters are a little crazy there, so she’s ready for some sunshine. Anna’s favorite hobbies are running, practicing self-care, drinking wine with friends, and enjoying her time with her family. Did I mention she has six ducks?
Follow her on:
Do you have a Wellness Wednesday Blog or Guest Post you’d Like me to Share?
Additionally, If you have any #wellnesswednesday articles you’d like me to feature contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org